01-projects/home-rebuild-2027

Rent affordability + sell scenario — the financials

2026-07-13·decision-support·status: DECIDED — stay put (founder, 2026-07-13 14:36 ET)·! high
home-rebuildhousingfinancemonarch

DECISION (founder, 2026-07-13 14:36 ET): STAY PUT. "It's the right move for all our scenarios — move to Miami, build here, buy a new home. Builds our net worth the most in the near term too." Sell-and-rent branch closed. Lot-watch offer declined ("No. It's all good.") — available later if the shape itch returns. The 6/30 architecture stands: stay in the house, hold the lot, get build-ready, wait for the family-gravity signal.

Rent affordability + sell scenario (2026-07-13)

Companion to [[2026-07-13-rent-buy-build-interim-decision]]. Founder asked: what can I afford in rent · does renting accelerate net worth · what does SELLING do if I switch to renting.

Verified baseline (Monarch live pull 7/13 + June pulse canonical model)

Q1 — What can he afford in rent?

Q2 — Does renting accelerate net worth growth?

Honest answer: renting itself accelerates nothing — staying put is always the cheapest housing. What renting protects is the actual accelerators:

Q3 — What does SELLING do?

Mechanics: ~$1,039k (Zillow est) − 6–7% selling costs ($65–73k) − $415.6k payoff ≈ $550–560k net cash. Primary-residence MFJ exclusion shields up to $500k of gain — need their cost basis to confirm fully tax-free (likely, not verified).

Monthly: kills the $4,527 payment + owner maintenance → recurring spend drops toward ~$14k; a $4–5k rent replaces it ≈ monthly wash, while ~$550k moves from land+structure into investable assets (+$22–33k/yr at 4–6%, more with his equity allocation, with volatility).

The strategic cost — the real decision: selling the house = selling the build lot. The entire 6/30 architecture (hold, get build-ready, wait for the family-gravity signal) assumed the dirt stays. So "should I sell?" reduces to: would you build on THIS lot if the family stays Tampa?

Valuation flag: $1.04M is a Zillow estimate on a flood-damaged structure on a nonconforming 68-ft lot — the value is substantially LAND; actual sale could differ meaningfully in either direction. Comps before deciding.

Recommendation shape (sent)

Rent (per the parent note) + the sell-vs-rent-out call hinges on lot conviction, not spreadsheet math — the numbers say all three sub-scenarios keep NW growing. Offered: comps + rent estimate for the house, and the basis check for the §121 exclusion.

UPDATE 14:20 ET — founder killed rent-out; fork is now STAY vs SELL-AND-RENT

Founder (14:20): rent-out "doesn't make sense" for them. Real fork = stay in the flood house until build/Miami vs sell now → rent → buy with clarity. His question: does freeing ~$500k+ to invest for ~3 years beat holding the lot in future buying power? His macro: housing can't keep growing; economy "heating up"; deflationary pressures coming (population, robots).

The framing sent: sell-to-rent = a 3-year pair trade (short housing, long equities).

UPDATE 14:31 ET — CONVERGED ON HOLD + the lot-swap instrument

Founder's clarifying facts (14:31): the lot is "ideal, not a dream" — right location. Michelle's acceptable set = exactly 4 neighborhoods: Culbreath Bayou (current), Culbreath Isles (she grew up), Beach Park, Palma Ceia. Their slice: side street within already-low-traffic Culbreath Bayou = kid safety. The dislike is the DIRT SHAPE: undersized for the neighborhood, narrow+long ("shotgun" proportions — matches the vault's 68-ft nonconforming fact). Re-entry: "difficult to get a home in here… buying our way back in would be at a premium." He also penciled rent at $8k/mo and read the trade edge as ~$150k = doesn't move the needle.

Ray's response (sent):

Net state: sell-and-rent branch is dead on his own facts + numbers. Standing plan reverts to the 6/30 architecture (stay, build-ready, wait for family-gravity signal) UPGRADED with the lot-swap watch as the shape fix. Decision page offer superseded — converged conversationally.

Open